The ABC of Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths in Food Production.
Please feel free to use this resource as a special Science Week Assembly and as a taster for what our Teach.Discovering-Our-Countryside VLE can offer the new curriculum.
- Video 1 – Apples Bees
- Video 2 – Cows Digestive
- Video 3 – Harvesting Machines
- Video 4 – Nutritional Omni
- Video 5 – Watt Zap
This process goes through the alphabet giving a word linked to Science, Technology Engineering and Maths (STEM) in Food Production. At appropriate points given below there is a short video to show explaining these points in more detail. 5 videos in all – total running time for videos around 15 mins.
How to use.
You have 3 options of how to use the resource.
- Simply show the videos above – either all together or 1 each day for science week, either in your classroom or even in an assembly. If using in an assembly why not make it interactive by printing PowerPoint slides off and asking pupils to hold each of print outs as you go through the list – maybe pupils with name beginning with same letter good luck with (Q, X, Z)!!!
- Use the first PowerPoint below which just gives each letter and its meaning giving and opportunity to discuss each then show relevant video for each of 5 sections.
- Use the PowerPoint incorporating a quiz (like the Twitter version) Each slide gives a letter and then ask a question, with a hint, about what the next letter in the alphabet might represent.
The ABC’s are:
Video 1 – Apples Bees
Apples need Bees
Video 2 – Cows Digestive
Cows have a Digestive system that has Evolved (developed or changed over time) to be able to Ferment (digest) Grass
Video 3 – Harvesting Machines
Harvesting Machines now use Interactive Screens to monitor crop being harvested – moisture content (how wet it is), Joystick controls Kilogram measures, to record yield (how much farmer harvests), Lasers to drive machine in straight lines and Maps of fields
Video 4 – Nutritional Omni
Nutritional Omnivores like humans and Pigs Quaff Rations measured by Sat-Nav like Transponders to get food to unborn piglets via their Umbilical Cord, Vitamins and water too
Video 5 – Watt Zap
Watt (James Watt 1736 – 1819) power rated technology designed to X (multiply / Increase) Yields collected. Zapping your hunger. Power Point just showing ABC’s Power Point with quiz for ABC’s